Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Sigh...

Ok. I KNOW this is the way i sometimes portray/present myself (BTW how cool is this dragon!) but BE IT KNOWN to the blogging community, i am actually trying to calm myself down and be a little more...helpful.
I am trying not to rise to the bait anymore, trying not to dominate conversations anymore, trying not to be unhelpfully obnoxious anymore, and trying not to hit anyone anymore.

it is only now that i realise how well i am known for these things, and that makes me really sad.
Most of them are self-explanatory, i spose my cheekiness is one that isn't obvious, but i know that it is unhelpful and unkind, springing from a self-satisfaction i have nurtured and am appalled by.
At this stage I have managed a couple of not-rising-to-the-bait reaction, though i know i failed to do so at least 3 times today, i attempted not to dominate conversation at GAP today, and at Bible study tonight i suceeded - but that was made easy...we were told we had to run through our study quickly to do other church business, a friend warned me that meant i wouldn't be able to talk, and i was so ashamed i didnt speak for a long while.
Being obnoxious is easy, and i haven't managed to avoid that properly. Not hitting anyone...mainly, well, completely, i mean not hitting Tom, nor tickling him. i do that sometimes to make him do what i want. LOL. mainly tickling. i sometimes hit him on the hand if he says something to make me react. this is a cycle i have instigated by reacting.
i have tried not to respond in this way when he's being silly, so far ok, and i have only tickled him once recently, and not upsetting him nor manipulating him. so that's good.

i know it sounds like i'm upset that people won't let me talk, so i won't talk at all, so there!but i have seen negative effects of this behaviour. not much, but enough to make me realise that it actually ISN'T just a fun part of my character, it's an outworking of my own ego. and i cannot stand it. it's disgusting - which sounds like i'm so good for rejecting it - but it is part of ME! i have held onto it, thinking i was clever and funny and right where others were wrong.
it left so little room for respect, love and concern for others. it's got to go, God has shown me that, but as you have seen, it's not a fast process.
i know it sounds extreme, silence is involved in a lot of this process, but it's not believing that my opinion and thoughts don't deserve ANY airtime, it's just that it'll be good for me. i need a clear line to stick to - once i know how to shut up, and am capable of it, i'll be able to speak more wisely.
Obviously i won't be silent all the time coz i do lead a couple of things, but in general, and esp at meetings.

This behaviour isn't self-controlled, nor gentle, nor peaceful, nor patient, nor loving....it has no part with the Spirit in me changing me. i know i won't be able to make myself perfect, that i will not be perfect before the New Creation, but i do know that God changes us, and this is the next thing for me.
Please pray for me and challenge me about how it's going, and at times if i say inappropriate things, let me know.
love, sparkle.

7 comments:

Amanda said...

Nana... you are so very precious!!
God loves you despite those things and help us to grow through our problems and weaknesses. He is amazing that way!!
It's so wonderful that you actually recognise these things. I sure wouldn't have. You are so very special and Loving. You have always been there to make me smile and provide warmth where there has sometimes been none for me.

I thank God for you, and I will pray for those things and will check up on you now and then...

Love you muchly!!

Anonymous said...

(This is Kathy btw): Dam, i just wrote a really long meaningfull comment and then IE stuffed up and i lost it. bloody windows. Anyhoo, general gist of it was keep speaking your mind but dont let it come across as rude or overbearing as there is a fine line between the two. stay cool-if ya wanna talk call me!

ALSO-Watcha doin on the 8th of Feb? i'm going clubbing..hold on, i just typed Feb-my brain isn't working tonight. i meant JUNE. 8TH OF JUNE. clubbing. oxford st. friend of mine is DJ-ing. could be a late night, im planning on being out till 3 or 4 am :-D. just let me know anyway, should be fun.

Luv Kathy! ( i didnt sign in coz windows doesnt behave when i do!)

Rebecca Johnson said...

Awww I find it hard to believe that Alison would be like that! We all love Alison, having said that, if you're ever annoying I'll let you know hehe ;)

Anonymous said...

Just take comfort in the fact that i can be much worse than you, i just curb it better...!!!

Luv Kathy :-)

Anonymous said...

Ali, we all love you for who you are. It's wonderful that you have recognised areas you want to change - I have done that over the last few weeks too and am finding it hard to do so. But God is helping us, and we'll get there yet!!

Keep on smiling, and I'll most certainly be praying for you. :-)

Lots of love,

me x

Anonymous said...

Ali, you are very caring and loving, you've never been anything other than that to me. I will be praying for you as you try to change the parts of you that are not like Christ, and always know that God loves you already, and his Holy Spirit is in you, helping you grow and change.

Love you, nana
Bella

Bec said...

Well, I guess by this point there is a sufficiently large buildup of literature to convince you that you are, in fact, a lovely lass to be around and that though you may want to make changes, we will happily stick around whether or not you do. In other words, you're ok, Ali!
Bec